Enroll your children in a Viamonde school!
Are you thinking about a Viamonde school for your child?
By choosing a Viamonde school for your child, you are creating opportunities for achievement and success beyond graduation: a diploma that is recognized everywhere, fluency in both official languages, and a Francophone culture that is open to the world and to diversity.
In this section, find out who can register to attend our schools, what the admission criteria are, and how and when to register your child. Of course, you can always attend one of our virtual open houses if you want to learn more about how we can provide your child with the best educational experience!
Who can attend a Viamonde school?
Under Section 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms where numbers warrant, Francophone communities are entitled to provide their children with an elementary and secondary education in French. This is why French-language schools exist where there is a sizeable minority Francophone community, such as within the jurisdiction of the Viamonde school board.
Under Section 23, Canadian citizens have the right to have their children educated in French in a French-language school, provided they meet one of the following criteria:
- A parent/guardian, Canadian citizen, whose first language learned and still understood is French;
- A parent/guardian, Canadian citizen, who received their primary school instruction in a public school in French in Canada;
- A parent/guardian, Canadian citizen, whose children have received or are receiving primary or secondary school instruction in a public institution in French in Canada.
If you don’t meet at least one of these three criteria, you may request an interview with the admissions committee that will determine the relevance of admitting your child to a French-language school. This committee will base its decision concerning your enrolment request following specific guidelines and rules. The child whom you are registering will have to pass an oral and written French test of her/his education level. If you have other children at school age, they will also have to do a French test of their level.
To request an admission committee, fill out the pre-enrolment form: https://csviamonde.ca/inscription/formulaire-de-pre-inscription/
The Pre-Admission Meeting
The child or adult that you wish to register at a Viamonde school (the candidate) must attend the pre-admission meeting, at which the school principal will present Viamonde’s educational values and mission. Following that, the principal of the school will ask questions about:
- The candidate’s experience with a French-language educational program and motivation to study in French;
- The parents’ mastery of the French language;
- Support, in the home, for the candidate’s integration into a French-language school environment.
Depending on the candidate’s level of education, he or she must take an oral and written French language test. If the test results are deemed adequate and if you have demonstrated that you can provide support in the home, the principal will convene an admissions committee.
Under the Ontario Education Act, an admissions committee is made up of the principal of the school, one teacher from the school, and a French-language superintendent.
During a meeting with you, the admissions committee will review Viamonde’s educational vision, the candidate’s French-language test results, and any other information that will help it to make a decision. You will be informed of the committee’s decision by a letter that you will receive some time after the meeting.
When should I register my child?
You may register your child at any time!
To register your child, please follow the Steps to register in one of Viamonde schools.
You may plan enrolment for the new school year in September as early as the previous spring. Our schools hold Virtual Open Houses in January.
Age of admission
In order to be admitted to elementary school, your child must be the following age before December 31 of the current school year :
- Age 4 for registration in Junior Kindergarten
- Age 5 for registration in Senior Kindergarten
- Age 6 for Grade 1
To be admitted to high school, your child must have successfully completed elementary school.
School Attendance Area
In order to attend a Viamonde school, the primary residence of your child must be within the jurisdiction of the Viamonde school board. The address of this residence determines the choice of school, based on school attendance areas.
Each Viamonde school has its own attendance area and gives priority to students who live within this area, providing them with free school transportation (page in French).
Do you want to find the school that serves your residential address?
Click here and enter your address in the search bar.
Registering your child to attend a school in another attendance area
Do you want your child to attend a school in another attendance area?
Apply to the school of your region first. Permission may be granted:
- If you move during the school year and your child wants to complete the school year at the school in the attendance area you are leaving;
- If your child experienced challenges at the school in your attendance area, for health reasons, for a particular program offered at the out-of-area school, etc.
If your child receives permission to attend an out-of-area school, please note that:
- Permission to do so must be renewed each year
- You will be responsible for your child’s transportation, unless you apply for and obtain a courtesy seat on the school bus serving the out-of-area school. Your request for a courtesy seat must be sent to the out-of-area school, which will forward it to the school bus consortium concerned. The policy on assigning courtesy seats can be found on each consortium’s web site: Francobus, WESTS, STWDSTS.
Steps to register in one of Viamonde schools
Please find the school of your region. If needed, determine the school by entering your address in the search bar here: https://csviamonde.ca/nos-ecoles/trouver-une-ecole/
Fill out the pre-enrolment form: https://csviamonde.ca/inscription/formulaire-de-pre-inscription/
One of our colleagues will contact you to determine whether you meet the requirements. To check requirements, please click here
If you meet the requirements of the right holders please go to Step 4
If you do not meet the requirements, please go to Step 5
We will be sending you the enrolment forms with the list of required documents:
- A proof of citizenship
- Birth certificate of your child
- A proof of address
- The school record of your child
Your enrolment request will be sent to the school of your region for an interview with the admissions committee. A decision will then be made based on specific guidelines and rules. The child whom you are registering will have to pass an oral and written French test of her/his education level. If you have other children at school age, they will also have to do a French test.
For more information or to contact us, feel free to call toll-free 1-877-342-3683 or email firstname.lastname@example.org